Divorce, a dramatic and striking word which rises endless questions. What adds to the questions are the psychological, mental, and emotional confusions that come with it? Some of these questions are very common, like, how does a divorce really progress? How often can the parent see their child after divorce? Which portion of the property belongs to whom? The list goes on.
Divorce attorneys San Antonio deal with separated couples on a regular basis. If you live in San Antonio and are thinking about divorcing your spouse, visit a divorce attorney to get all your questions answered in detail.
Why should you talk to a divorce lawyer?
It is essential to discuss the situation with a lawyer at the earliest. GO for an attorney who holds a specialization in family law and/or divorce. Remember, a trained attorney protects your issues all through what may become a complicated ordeal. It can only happen if s/he understands divorce law’s intricacies.
Even if the divorce appears to be amicable, go for a lawyer as your spouse would do that too. You need to hire an attorney who doesn’t have their loyalties divided. S/he cannot represent from bothhe/she needs to be 100% on your side.
What kind of lawyer should you hire?
There are certain qualities which you must look for in your divorce attorney. The person should:
- Provide you the confidence for being candid,
- listen to whatever you have to say
- make you feel comfortable before and throughout the divorce process.
- answer all your questions
- Be open to discussions about the costs associated with the case. This would include the cost of each process and the legal services.
Every attorney-client relation must have disclosure of confidential and private information at its crux. Divorce costs, at times, get significant, even for cases that are just contested. If an attorney isn’t transparent about their charges and fee, don’t let them represent you.
How much should a good lawyer charge?
Going for an attorney with a fancy office or high fee may not be the right decision. While hiring a professional, you need to know their credentials and experience. A lawyer’s reputation and track record are critical. Here are certain factors you should consider to decide if the attorney is charging you reasonably:
- The labor and time required, the skills for performing the legal services, the difficulty and novelty of questions involved.
- The fees charged in your locality for similar law services.
- The money involved and the outcome obtained.
- The length and nature of the attorney-client professional relationship.
- If the fee is contingent or fixed.
Most importantly, you need to feel comfortable disclosing personal details that can even be embarrassing to your lawyer. Talk to the lawyer to know their ability to tackle with the case competently.